He’s Here


Oliver Joseph Andrews

Born January 4th, 2013

9lbs 8ounces, 22 inches long

Christmas came and went. The New Year came and went. I began to wonder if I would just be pregnant forever and if this sweet baby would ever decide to join us. On January 4th, one day shy of being a full 42 weeks pregnant, the midwives whose care we were in offered to break my membranes and see if it would start good labor for me. We decided to go for it since I was already 3cm dilated and 80% effaced. We called my mom to come and stay with the girls and we headed off to the hospital with a stop at Starbucks on the way to calm my nerves.

It was a very different experience checking into the hospital while not in actual labor. There was no rushing, no wheelchair, lots more questions and lots more friendly conversation and getting to know the nurses. We got settled into our delivery room and the midwife made a good attempt to break my membranes. She could only get through one layer of them and just barely..apparently I have good, healthy membranes! So she broke my water at 3pm and…well….Oliver Joseph was born at 5:04pm.

I couldn’t believe how short of a time my labor was. No one else was surprised which made it even funnier. The best part about the whole thing? I did it completely drug free…for the first time ever! I am unbelievably proud of myself and grateful to God for the strength and perseverance He gave me. Ben was also amazing throughout the whole thing and never left my side. I told him the other day that he could have a very lucrative career as a man Doula. He laughed pretty hard. I was totally serious. The man takes such beautiful care of all of us and I am thankful every day to be his wife. 

Anyway, Oliver was born and we did all the usual business of cleaning up, stitching up, feeding, weighing, etc, etc and then? We came home. Three hours after giving birth I waddled my way down the halls of the hospital and out to our van and came home and crawled into my own bed. It was incredible. Most people think we are totally insane for doing it this way but I have to say that it really is the best thing. No being poked and prodded all night by random nursing staff and have a slew of strangers in and out of your room for all kinds of reasons that are “necessary”.  We are so grateful to be in the care of such awesome midwives who have come to our house several times this week to check in on us and encourage us.

Oliver is 1 week old today and I can’t believe how quickly that time has passed. I have yet to leave the house which would normally drive me crazy but I am feeling rested and peaceful and confident that I can handle these beautiful kids God has blessed me with. One day and one coffee at a time, I say! Thank you for your many prayers, thoughts and meals…goodness, the meals we have received! What a blessing our little community has been. I will be back with more photos of Ollie soon, as the woman across the street from us is a photographer and is taking some photos for us.. but for now here is my favorite one she has taken so far.



4 thoughts on “He’s Here

  1. Awesome! I was so excited to hear your story. I am so proud of you for doing it drug free and I am glad to hear how you are feeling now. Oliver is such a cutie!

  2. I don’t think you’re crazy at all for going home after 3 hours. I had a lot of back pain after Amata and I couldn’t get comfortable at all in the hospital bed, when I got home to my own bed it was sweet, blissful relief. And actually sleeping.
    I’m so happy for you to have a healthy baby and the natural birth you were hoping for. I wish we could be part of the meal posse, but we’ll just have to send our thoughts and prayers.

    Also… 22 inches? Oh my. Amata was 20 1/4 inches and she didn’t fit into the newborn sleepers. That’s one big, beautiful baby boy!

  3. He’s just. so. handsome! I’m so glad things went smoothly for you. But three hours? Can’t even imagine what that would be like! My shortest hospital stay has been three DAYS. And that wasn’t even because of the caesarians, it’s because my babies all end up with serious jaundice and need phototherapy. 😛

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s